Listen to archived episodes at mixcloud.com

Monday, April 16, 2018

The Pulitzer Prize crosses the Rubicon (and I feel fine)

Hmmm, so the Pulitzer Prize is not just for unpopular music anymore.

I must say I'm not all that familiar with Mr. Lamar's music1, and the little I've heard hasn't really piqued my curiosity. Should I feel obliged to listen further? We'll see.

I must say, though, that I am glad to see the committee continue their trek away from the Ivory Tower over the last decade or so. Since they've been giving awards to jazz musicians lately, I'm glad to see recognition spread to other new areas. And I suppose it's good that the Pulitzers can relate to African-American culture other than through honoring newspaper coverage of horrible things that happen there.

(Also, unlike my beef when Henry Threadgill won about giving the award to the record, not the composition itself, I'm confident that DAMN. was conceived as a piece of recorded music.)

At least they know better than to give an award to Bon Jovi.2

1Yes, I pretty much do live under a rock these days.
2We do however congratulate Nina Simone and Sister Rosetta Tharpe on their induction to that dubious institution.

No comments:

Post a Comment