Listen to archived episodes at mixcloud.com

Saturday, July 7, 2018

Webcast info for July 7, 2018

not a recent photo from Boston

I'm called out of town this weekend, so today we will be presenting an encore presentation of the episode from August 26, 2017.

If you recall (and I'm sure you do), I was feeling a bit lazy and uninspired, partly because of the hot weather of that week, which, after this week's clock melting weather, I would surely laugh at now.


How lazy? Well, the second hour features only four selections: a "free jazz" epic, a deep dive and reconstruction of one of the most standard standards, an overlooked 20th century concerto, and an over-the-top rendition of a classic 80's movie theme that made Tikva say "whoa".

The first hour is less jazzy than usual, but has some good summertime grooves from an array of sources. There's not so much a "now and then" but a "then and halfway to now" from Henry Threadgill, some afro-jazz, a Zappa guitar solo, and more.

Also, I an shocked that I could not find a version of the above painting substituting records for the clocks! Am I going to have to do that myself?

No comments:

Post a Comment