Listen to archived episodes at mixcloud.com

Thursday, January 22, 2015

That akward moment

Oh, yeah, during last week's webcast, I start saying something regarding the Charlie Hebdo attacks, and then stop. It's merely that my brain and mouth were not exactly in coordination, and it was going to come out not so much as offensive, but just stupid and not what I really meant to say. I was going to mention that at the the time of Poulenc's composition and Garner's recordings, France was in its waning days as a colonial power in Muslim populated parts of North Africa. I was thinking of saying this only to point out that the violence doesn't exist in isolation, but was afraid it was going to come out as justifying the current violence with the past violence, which is something I assuredly don't believe. I abhor both terrorism and colonialism.

This a topic other people are better suited to discuss, and I'm sorry I brought it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment