Listen to archived episodes at mixcloud.com

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Top 3 for February 15, 2014

In the Heat of the Night dir. By Norman Jewison

All I can say is I watched this on a night when a jury in Florida would not convict of murder a white man who shot into a car full of black teenagers who would not turn that shit down.

Lennie Tristano Solo in Europe and Lee Konitz Quartet in Europe

Bootleg recordings mostly from 1965 in TV mono with copy of a copy hum. Tristano brings more than the usual dissonance especially “Everything happens to me.” I wish I had known this recording of “Darn That Dream” when I tried a similar idea for an assignment back at Famous Music College. The highlight though are the tacked on Lee Konitz tracks, especially the with backup from Bill Evans, Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen and Alan Dawson.

Dink's Song by Bob Dylan from No Direction Home: The Soundtrack – The Bootleg Series, Vol. 7

A home recording from December 1961 from what's often known as the Minnesota Hotel Tapes. Very modern sounding despite its prehistoric origins.

No comments:

Post a Comment